It’s been about a year now since I first met Katy. Katy-san was sitting, waiting for Samurai Dan and Jillian’s beloved “Cards Against Humanity” panel (18+, yes) at Cosplacon 2015 last year. There was like a two hour delay from the start time to when the panel actually was (super long, confusing for all parties story), but I did not want to lose my second row spot since Dan and I are tight and I wanted him to see me (I brought a sparkly hat for him to wear). Miles and Derrick bored quickly and went to explore the hotel or chill in the hotel room upstairs. I was watching a video on my phone and Katy-san was sitting in front of me, commenting on something the video said, and we just hit it off! We talked about my magical girls shirt, Yu-gi-oh, cosplay, Samurai Dan, and so much more, watching videos together, Katy-san showing off some awesome swag, and just having a hooting time those two hours. We became Facebook friends right away after the panel started and Katy, Tabby, and I were on the same “Cards Against Humanity” group.
Katy-san (known as KuroBakura on the web), has so much passion for her fandoms and makes them creative in fanfiction, never giving up despite challenges. It is such an admirable spirit; even myself and authors bigger than me struggle with this at times. Katy-san’s laugh is infectious; keep dreaming! =D Let’s give Katy-san a welcome!
Aspiring Author Spotlight Questions
- When you wake up in the morning, how do you see life?- Well, for me, it depends on the how I feel when I wake up. Most of the time, I feel like life is exciting but other times. When I feel alone and have no energy, I try not to let it get to me, though as much as I can. I live my life one day at a time and to the fullest as much as possible.
- How did writing find its way into your life?- I discovered my first fanfic when I was about ten, but I did not write my first one until 2005. After reading it for years, I decided one day to give it a try, but after getting a lot of negativity, I quit writing it for years, but then started back up again in December of 2014. Now, I have written about 150 fanfics/works since and even started to write original stories works as well.
- What does writing do for you?- Writing not only helps with my stress and issues (I am autistic and it helps me keep calm and it is soothing to me), but it also helps me see how my ideas look like when written out, both story and character wise . With fanfiction, it helps give me a different perspective on the characters, such Sherlock Holmes (BBC version) and Loki (Marvel movies).
- What sort of genre or type of writing do you do?- I write fantasy, LGBT/slash, hurt/comfort, action/adventure and Alternative Universe (fanfiction term). I also write crossovers (which is another fanfiction term).
- Do events in your life or people you know affect your writing?- Oh, yes. Not in a bad way, but in a good way. I mostly write for myself, but my friends and family encourage me to write. Having a support system is a wonderful thing and helps me push forward and keep going.
- What are you currently working on or what was the last thing you wrote?- I am working on so many stories and fanfiction at the moment, but the most recent one that I have done is of Sherlock and John from Sherlock (BBC version) taking a trip to Japan and experiencing certain cultural things and events. The last thing I wrote was another Sherlock fanfic where Sherlock and John have a daughter who was adopted and Sherlock is at an event with their daughter. I am also planning a few other Sherlock fanfics as well and an original story, too.
- Can you tell us a little about it and its inspiration?- Well, for the fanfic about Sherlock and John going to Japan, I have had the idea to write it for a while, but the inspiration to write got stronger after listening to a song in a videogame that I was playing on my Playstation 3 one day. I tend to find inspirations and ideas from random things, such as pictures, music, or even just from a certain emotion.
- What are your goals for the future?- Well, my goal is to write and complete my first original novel (with no time limit). Another goal of mine is to make a cover for the novel as well. I actually have been drawing longer than I have been writing, but I love doing both things.
- What are your interests or hobbies?- Interests: Anime/Manga, comic books (mainly Marvel), music, art (any kind of art), writing, cosplay and collecting things such as comic books and movies I have a huge collection of Marvel, Lord of The Rings/The Hobbit and movies with Lee Pace, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Hemsworth, and/or Martin Freeman in them. My Hobbies are drawing/painting, writing, playing video games, watching movies anime, and TV shows. I also like to sing as well.
- If you could be a superhero, what are your powers and how would you use them to help the world?- I am not really sure actually. I never thought of myself as being a hero or what it would be like to be one.
- What advice would you give people who want to write?- Never let the negativity from others get to you and if you love to write then go for it. Writing is not about what other people think or that you should have to write what they want. If you love to write and want to do it, then do not let others stand in your way and/or bring you down. Do it for yourself and/or follow your dream. In the end, there are people who will love your work and support you, no matter what.
- If you could be remembered for one thing or thought, what would it be?- I guess for me, it would be just always being there for people when they need help or advice about something. I am the type of person who will help and be there for you if you need it and try to make you feel better.
A Tony Stark and Steve Rodgers Fanfiction*
Note: This fanfiction, although the content is PG, does contain and/or suggest some yaoi themes (a boy liking another boy). For those who are sensitive to the topic, this warning has been in placed.
It was a breezy Saturday night. Tony was in his laboratory, working on some paperwork for an order of parts for his new suit he is working on. Tony suddenly heard his lab door open and looked up. Steve (who has been living with Tony for less than month but they have known each other for about three now) walked in to the lab, still wearing his suit. He walked over to Tony and then stood right in front of him.
“Mr. Stark.” Steve suddenly said in a serious tone.
“Captain.” Tony replied, in the same tone.
“We need to talk.” Steve told him.
“There is nothing to discuss. Now, please leave.” Tony said, turning around. Suddenly, Tony heard something break behind him. Steve had thrown Tony’s coffee cup on the floor, shattering it. This made Tony a bit irritated.
“You broke my cup.” Tony said. Steve suddenly feel like he could not hold it back anymore. Steve just let it out of his system.
“Yeah, I broke your cup, Tony. Just like you broke my damn heart!” Steve replied.
“So, this is what all of this is about. Hmm, I see.” Tony said. Tony walked away from his desk and towards the entrance.
“So, you are not even going to talk about this at all?” Steve asked.
“You just answered your own question, Rogers.” Tony replied. Steve turned around and grabbed Tony’s arm.
“Tony, please listen to me.” Steve said. Tony slapped Steve’s arm away from him.
“Don’t touch me, Rogers.” Tony said back to him. Tony turned again and then continued to walk over to the door. That is when Steve decided that he needed to be more serious if he wanted to get his point across.
“DON’T YOU EVEN CARE ABOUT ANYONE ELSE’S FEELING BUT YOUR OWN?!” Steve shouted. Tony stopped and turned to Steve, again.
“Of course I do!” Tony replied.
“Since when?!” Steve asked.
“Since I met you!” Tony said. Steve blushed.
“…What?” Steve said, calmly. Tony sighed.
“Steve, before I met you, I was all about myself and thought myself as “high and mighty.” But when I met you…all of this changed. Yes, I do have my flaws and moments, but I am only human. Ever since I have met you, I have changed…a lot. You were the one who taught me to care about others and be compassionate. I am sorry that I still can not be as open as you want me to be, Steve.” Tony told him.
Steve didn’t make a sound or say any thing.
“Well, if that is all…I would like you to please leave.” Tony said. Steve began to walk over but stopped in front of Tony. Steve leaned forward towards Tony. Suddenly, Tony was caught off guard; he felt Steve’s lips press against his. After Steve stopped, Tony looked at Steve, wide-eyed and in shock.
“Tony, I know and I should be more understanding about you as well. I guess, maybe, I care too much, but like you said, I am only human…What I am trying to say is…I am sorry, Tony, and…I love you.” Steve said. Tony held Steve close to him.
Tony sighed, relieved and flustered from the way this disagreement had turned. “I am sorry, too. I guess we both are different, but we also get along well. And hey, love is not always nor can be perfect. Steve…you are my Avenger.” Tony said. Steve smiled at Tony.
“Love you, too, by the way.” Tony replied, then kissed Steve quickly, both of them were smiling afterwards.
“Tony?” Steve suddenly said.
“Yes?” Tony replied.
“…Lets just forget about this whole incident. Is that okay with you?” Steve asked.
“Of course.” Tony replied. They let go of each other and held hands.
“Well, I guess there only one other question to ask…” Tony said. Steve blushed and felt his heart race.
“Oh?” Steve asked.
“Steve…want to get some dinner?” Tony asked. Steve began to chuckle.
“What’s so funny?” Tony demanded. Steve looked up at him.
“Oh sorry. It is nothing.” Steve replied.
“Steve…” Tony said. Steve took a breath.
“…I thought you were going to ask me to marry you.” Steve told him. Tony blushed.
“Really?” Tony asked. Steve nodded his head a couple of times, still ensnared in laughter.
“…Uh…woo. Well, ahhh…” Tony stuttered. Steve cackled again.
“Tony, it’s fine. I am not upset or anything, but to answer your actual question. Yes, I would like to get something to eat.” Steve answered.
“Chinese?” Tony asked.
“Sure! Let me go change and then we will head out.” Steve replied.
“Okay, I will meet you downstairs, then.” Tony said.
About the Author:
Hi! My name is Katy and/or KuroBakura. I am huge fan of Sherlock, The Hobbit/Lord of The Rings, Marvel, anime/manga, Jpop/Jrock/Kpop and a lot of other things/fandom as well. I also love Japanese culture and learning about the history of Japan (past events and such) and am starting to learn more about the past history of Korea as well. I write mostly fanfiction and plan to write a novel. I love to write, draw and play videogames.